Monday, February 26, 2007

Previously in the Last 10 Days of "A"'s Life

Recently, I visited a new doctor, and was asked to sign Mount Sinai Hospital's privacy form. The form states that I have:
a right to an "accounting of disclosures", which is a list with information about how the institution has shared your information with others outside Mount Sinai...
One thing that the accounting list will not include? "Disclosures made to federal officials for national security and intelligence activities."

On the train home, I listened to the announcement that the NYC transit police might inspect my bags.

Um, why would federal officials want to hear the results of, say, my pap smear?

Could it something to do with a medical interrogation?

This kind of crap, which I assume comes from the so-called Patriot Act (um, if I weren't hiding anything in my uterus,I guess I wouldn't be concerned?) is absolutely affected by the fact that we watch this stuff on TV and think it is okay.

As a New Yorker I hold Law & Order as one of our civic treasures. In fact, as I left the doctor's, I was stopped on the sidewalk on the way to the train so that Eric Bogosian could be filmed getting into an SUV.

But New York's TV finest routinely violate the civil rights of perps and skels every week. (And if you multiply this by all of the Law & Orders that still seem to be on the air, and the reruns on TNT or whichever channel seems to play L&O 24 X 7, it is probably happening thousands of times a week!)

And finally, the NY Times is finally allowing permalinks! Therefore, no matter when you read this, you can read about the movement towards using x-rays to search people at airports. (Total Recall, anyone?)

"Hey Stan, d'you think that looks like Tampax, or C-4?"

But I digress.

Apparantly written by women bloggers (Karen Heller and Susan Young?), 24-Jack Bauer has a recent post about 24's torture methods, and whether some (no doubt rogue) agents of the US government might have copied the methods in real (not TV) life.

People, TV is both our mirror and our leader. As much as I am oddly attracted by 24, I'm also concerned.

No comments: